Tuesday 8 March 2016

Dream come true, my hard work is paying off: Evin Lewis

Evin Lewis has been rewarded for his good showing in domestic cricket
Evin Lewis has been rewarded for his good showing in domestic cricket © Getty
Evin Lewis is grateful that his hard work has brought the rewards, with him getting his maiden West Indies call-up for ICC World Twenty20 that commences this week throughout India.
The 24-year old, Trinidad & Tobago opening batsman was chosen to replace country-man Lendl Simmons, despite speculation over the weekend suggest that Dwayne Smith would get the call up, after performing well for Islamabad United in the recently concluded Pakistan Super League.
"It's a great feeling and dream come true, to know that my hard work in recent months is paying off and has been recognized by selectors," Lewis told cricbuzz. "I was surprised at call-up, but at the same time very happy."
In November the Trinidad & Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) had controversially taken away the domestic contracts of Lewis alongside team-mates Rayad Emrit and Kevon Cooper (a matter that was taken up by the West Indies Players Association) due to him playing in the Bangladesh Premier League.
The talented young opener has been playing on pay for play contract from that moment and coincidentally since that happened, Lewis has been in very good form - scoring his maiden T20, list A and first-class centuries.
Lewis though noted he did not use that as motivation for his improved performances. "To be honest it (losing contract) didn't really bother me. Cricket is my life and I just felt personally of late that it was about time I stepped my game up."
With Lewis joining the team, the West Indies selectors might have a tricky position to decide who opens the batting with Chris Gayle, with Andre Fletcher and Johnson Charles also showing good form in the warm-up games versus Zimbabwe and Warwickshire County.
"If I get the chance to play I would be thankful, but at the same time I could learn a lot from just being at this tournament and in the presence of some of the top West Indies and international players," Lewis concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment