Sunday 13 March 2016

Will never forget what Martin told me, says Guptill

Martin Guptill is one of New Zealand's trump cards in the World T20 2016
Martin Guptill is one of New Zealand's trump cards in the World T20 2016 © Getty
A couple of years ago, very few would've imagined this low-profile Kiwi to be the batsman to watch out for in the 2016 edition of World T20, but so sensational has Martin Guptill's form been in recent times, that he now can easily be labelled as New Zealand's biggest trump card in this tournament. Guptill spoke to TOI on the sidelines of a business networking reception hosted by New Zealand Trade and Enterprise.
You've been in phenomenal form. What's the secret?
Whoever I'm batting with, I try to create a good partnership.We're just having fun with each other. It seems to be working. I don't take things too seriously and just enjoy myself.
Did you seek anyone's advice?
I know what you're trying to get out here! Obviously , I've been very close to Martin Crowe for the last couple of years. He's been instrumental in how my game has turned out for the last couple of years. I'm very grateful for the work that we've put together and the time he was able to share with me. I'm never going to forget what he told me.
Brendon McCullum has led the turnaround in NZ's fortunes...
He turned this team around. A few years ago, we weren't getting the results we wanted. What Brendon has done for the team is put it on the right track and created a very good culture within the group, and everyone's striving to be better, bouncing off each other with different ideas, where previously people were a little more insular I guess.
Has Brendon's attacking style rubbed off on you?
I guess it has. You know, the way he plays his cricket is all or nothing. He was very good in the way he played. Being at the other end, I probably had the best seat in the house! I was very fortunate this season to be at the top order and watch him and then when he was injured, I was able to take over.
237 not out against the Windies (in the World Cup quarterfinal).You were on fire that day...
That whole day was a blur. It went so quickly. I can't remember what was going on! It just sort of happened! I just struck each ball as it came down, and that seemed to have worked that day. I'd love to be able to do that again, but you know, those kind of days are few and far between.
You suffered a bad accident in childhood (he lost three toes when his brother accidentally drove a forklift truck over him). How difficult was it to overcome?
It wasn't too difficult. I think I was playing three months after it happened, so I was back pretty quickly. It didn't hold me back.
Who inspired you to get back to the sport you love?
I always just wanted to play cricket, since I was a kid, so it wasn't too hard to get back (to the game). I don't like talking about it too much.People just think it's remarkable, but it isn't really. It's just part of life.
Who was your cricketing hero?
Nathan Astle. He went after the bowling at the top of the innings, and that always appealed to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment